Chinese leader Xi Jinping met with dozens of major executives in the world on Friday (28) while sought to strengthen foreign investment during an increasingly trade war with the United States.
The meeting, in which Shi reassured global investors about the country’s economic perspectives to contain a decrease in foreign investment, a few days before US President Donald Trump, He announced a lot of customs tariffs aimed at many trade partners in the United States.
Eleven in appreciation of China as a “fertile land for foreign investment and prosperity”, including more than 40 CEOs, including Fedex Raj Subrmaniam, and Qualcomm Cristiano Amon, to expand their investments in the country.
“China has always been, and it will definitely remain and will remain an ideal and safe destination for foreign investment,” he said, according to an official reading provided by the government news agency, Xinhua.
XI repeated the promise to improve access to markets, ensure equal treatment of foreign companies and enhance communication with foreign investors. He added that foreign companies contribute to a third of China’s imports, exports and their seventh tax revenues, with the establishment of more than 30 million jobs.
She appealed to Xi to multinational companies, who said to practice “a major international influence”, “talking about the right, taking practical measures, and resisting any attempts to return to progress.”
It seems that he gave a Trump By asking foreign companies, “not to follow the blind measures that will disturb the safety and stability of the global industrial supply chain.”
“Preventing the ways of others in the end will only break you in the end,” he said. “Getting rid of supply chains and breaking them harm everyone and does not lead anywhere.”
Several executives – Subrmaniam, Hello Källenius Da Daimler AG and Sanofi Paul Hudson and CEO of HSBC Noel Quinn – during the meeting, according to government media.
Many foreign executives in Beijing remained after the Chinese Development Forum at the end of last week, as they asked them Premêi Li Qiang “protection resistance” in a world of “increased instability and uncertainty”.
The forum, which was attended by representatives of 86 multinational companies this year, is an annual event that international business leaders are frequent.
“We are preparing for an unexpected shocks, which, of course, comes mainly from external sources,” he told me on Sunday.
In a meeting with Chinese Minister of Trade Wang Winda on Monday, Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, promised to increase investment in the supply, research and development sectors in China, according to the Ministry of Trade.
Wang criticized a unilateral tariff by stopping commercial operations and adding uncertainty to the global economy, while emphasizing that China was ready to work with the United States to create a more stable political environment for companies.
Growth
The Chinese economy still suffers from countless challenges, including the real estate sector in crises, in families’ consumption and contraction. However, Beijing set an ambitious goal for the country’s 5 % economic growth this year, although recognition of future difficulties.
In the first two months of the year, China recorded a 20 % decrease in foreign direct investment (ID), according to the Ministry of Trade. The beginning of the weak year came after a sharp decrease of 27.1 % in the total number of annual explosive devices last year to 826.3 billion yuan (113.4 billion dollars), which is the lowest value since 2016.
Geopolitical tension and hardening of national security regulations accelerated in foreign businesses in China and capital immigration. A long economic crisis led the country to a pre -emptive investment from Chinese foreign and private companies.
At a high -level meeting last month, Xi sat with senior business officials, including Alibaba Jack MA, the founder of Huawei Ren Zhengfei, CEO of BYD Wang Chuanfo, and CEO of Tencent Pony MA. “It is now time for private companies and businessmen to flourish,” he told them.
The ambitious economic growth goals are threatened in China due to a new trade conflict with Trump. Since January, the US president has imposed an additional 20 % on all Chinese imports, as well as billions of dollars in goods in goods.
In revenge, China imposed the import rates of the United States with a number of 15 %, including some agricultural products and energy, and announced new controls in exporting raw materials.
On Monday, I signed an order to strengthen the competition law in the country, according to the government media. She said that counter -measures can be taken against foreign countries that “contain or suppress China” or impose discriminatory measures for their citizens or entities.
American definitions may increase in the coming weeks, with the White House and must announce the mutual tariff in many countries early next week. This measure is part of a wider effort to revive local manufacturing and address what Trump sees unfair commercial practices.
But Trump has repeatedly suggested that he expects a deal with China. Last week, the main representative of American commercial policy and his Chinese colleagues can reach this week’s agreement.